Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The value of Jesus.


 Money. Revenue. Profit. ATC, AVC, and AFC. Monopolies and oligopolies. Perfectly competitive markets.Dominant strategies.

 Economics is a fascinating subject, although I can hardly understand it. It is not news to me that I am stupid. It's a miracle I've gotten to this point in my academic career. But my mid-C level grade in the AP class is not what I am describing here. My daily perplexed look during 4th period does not come from the concepts themselves, but from the fact that it works in America.
 The U.S economy controls our lives. Through the years, it has made us greedy and selfish.It's a race to the top. Why this would happen in a system like ours makes perfect sense. It's the name of the game. What doesn't make sense is how it even was allowed to form in this nation.
  The original pilgrims came here to avoid persecution. They were all Christian. Today, we are a predominately Christian nation. The church of Christ teaches that should only use what we need, and spend the rest of our time helping others. This directly contradicts the economic principals of our country to such a degree, it would be a miracle if anybody in its existence made it to heaven.
 I see flags and bumper stickers that say "God bless America." on the cars and homes from my Christian neighbors. How would a Christian God feel about his name being licensed and distributed for profit? 
I am not an atheist. I am not a Christian. I am not a Muslim. I am nothing. I'm hardly an American at this point. This is not to knock Christianity. I think the virtues that Jesus teaches are very noble. I simply want to know how any Christian justifies living in a country like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment