Thursday, December 13, 2012

Boom. (Short story)

Head's up. I'm postponing the "will,of the city." part ii, since I haven't had a chance to finish it. you can probably expect it sometime next week.


I've always liked explosions. I'll never forget my first fireworks parade. Right before I turned 3, and my parents took me to the park to see them. Any fear they had that the noise would scare me was gone within five minutes of it starting.I went wild.I made my first sentence that day.

"Let's make more boom."

 My parents thought it was cute at first. I would make noise with pots and pans, like lots of young kids. I did it so much, however, that they began to believe it was more than just a phase. I was ignoring my other toys. My favorite thing to do was make loud noises. Whenever planes flew close to our house, I would run outside to hear it break the sound barrier. I loved noise. Even then, my parents believed I would grow to convert this love into musical talent. 
 They actually began to depend on this belief to keep their sanity. When I was in Pre-K, I knocked over all of the book shelves, yelling "BOOM!BOOM!BOOM!"
 My parents said the teacher didn't accept my creative genius.
When I was 11, I threw a firecracker into my neighbor's yard and blew out a window. They said my first album would pay for it.
 When I was in high school, I connected the fire alarm to the intercom, and set it off. My mom said my suspension was worth it if I went on tour. 
 In retrospect, I suppose this was all denial on their part. They couldn't control me. I was a loose cannon, especially when I listened to my loose cannon soundtrack. It was especially hard for them because of how I acted around loud noises. I would get into this zone, and I had this uncontrollable strength. As long as there was noise, I was unstoppable.
 But now I work in construction. My unique condition makes me very efficient. Although my ultimate plan with this job has more to do with the end product than the satisfaction construction gives me.
 As one of the chief builders, I supervise a lot of decisions. If at one point or another I were to make a mistake, the building's stability would be compromised. And if that were to happen, the building would collapse. That would make a pretty loud noise, wouldn't it?




No comments:

Post a Comment