Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Population growth

So I started this book today.I don't remember what it's called. I think "Urban Sprawl", but I left it at school. I'll tell you tomorrow. It's about the psychology of urban development, and all the things that happen inside of the mind of city dwellers. Here's the kicker: it was written in the 60's, and it has all of these predictions for the future of cities.
 Most of them are spot on. A lot of them are population estimations, and they're incredibly accurate when one considers the drop off that took place during the AIDS epidemic. The one that I remember is that the man estimate that the U.S population would be 345 million today. It's at 330 million currently. 
 Reading all of those, and seeing how accurate they were, I got pretty freaked out when he said it's possible for entire countries to be cities by the year 2100. Currently, 250 million Americans live around or in urban cities. If our population continues to increase, so will our dependency on cities.. City life is overall more energy efficient that that in rural areas. People will naturally be inclined to move to cities, especially as traditional farming is eliminated.
 Imagine- a world where you cannot travel anywhere and see open land. It would be horrendous. I mean, I'm a city guy. I always have been, and I always will be. But the idea that I can go somewhere and see nothing but nature kind of keeps me sane.
 For these reasons, I propose a plan. We kill 3 billion people at random. 2.7 billion from Eurasia, and 300 million in all of the Americas. We can do it like a lottery. It'll be fun. 
Kidding, but this book is definitely giving me a new appreciation for the country life.

 Other than that, I can't complain. There was something else I was going to talk about, but whatever. Hey, have a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment